Relay For Life of Cullman County is a fundraiser for The American Cancer Society. A volunteer group of individuals make up the planning committee for the annual event that is held the first Friday in May.
Anyone can create or join a team to participate in Relay For Life. Teams can be made up of family and friends, businesses, industries, church groups, school groups, community groups, etc. There are no restrictions on who can participate.
After the Kickoff Celebration (Jan. 12, 2017), Team Spirit meetings are held on the first Thursday (after the first Monday) of every month at 5:30 p.m., in the Fellowship Hall (basement) of First Baptist Church of Cullman. The upcoming schedule for 2017 is as follows:
- Feb. 9- 5:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Cullman
- March 9- 5:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Cullman
- April 6 – 5:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Cullman
- April 27 – 5:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Cullman
- May 4 – 5:30 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Cullman (Pick up Team T-shirts)
Teams can sign up online at http://www.relayforlife.org/cullmanal or contact Helen Allen at (256) 709-4019 or email@example.com for assistance signing up or for more information.
It is encouraged that a team raise at least $100 for each team member they have registered. Teams can raise money utilizing established Relay For Life fundraisers, which include:
- Luminaria: $10 each, the luminaria can be dedicated in honor or in memory of someone. Luminaria can be sold online through the Relay For Life website or in person using forms available HERE.
- Torch of Hope: $75 each, the Torch of Hope is a way to keep a permanent marker in memory or in honor of a loved one. These are tiki-style torches that will include a plaque with a special message and a ribbon. The torches are displayed at the Relay For Life event and the buyer gets to keep it to display at their home. A form is available HERE. There is a deadline of April 22 to order the Torch of Hope.
- You’re The Reason: $5 each, the You’re The Reason is a slideshow made up of photographs and messages provided by the buyers to honor a loved one lost or affected by cancer, or to show support or appreciation to someone involved in Relay, a caretaker of a cancer patient or any other expression of thanks. The You’re The Reason slideshow will be presented on stage at the Relay For Life event. A form is available HERE and you can view the 2015 You’re The Reason slideshow HERE.
- Relay Quilt: The annual Relay For Life Quilt is created by longtime Relay volunteer Shirley Wise using T-shirts provided by teams participating in the last year’s event. All Relay For Life teams can sell tickets. A donation of $1 for each ticket or 6 tickets for $5 is accepted in the Relay Quilt opportunity.
- Other Relay-wide fundraisers will be announced as they are planned. Upcoming events include a Pancake Breakfast and opportunities to set up tables in front of the Walmart store on Alabama Highway 157.
Teams may also choose to do their own fundraisers. Car washes, bake sales, yard sales, dinners, crafts, etc. The only limit is your imagination. You may want to visit the Relay Nation website, which gives Relayers from around the world a forum to discuss their fundraising efforts and ideas.
Please contact Helen Allen at (256) 709-4019 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about Relay For Life.