Who can participate in Relay For Life?
Anyone can participate in Relay For Life!!! Our Relay For Life teams have are made up families, friends, business, government offices, churches, schools, industries. No is excluded from participating. Teams can sign up at www.relayforlife.org/cullmanal.
What is required of teams and team members?
Teams are encouraged to raise funds for the American Cancer Society, with at least $100 raised for each team member registered. For example, if a team registers 10 people, they are asked to set a goal of at least $1,000.
How do teams raise funds?
Teams can raise funds in any way they see fit: Chili suppers, bake sales, yard sales, car washes, craft sales, anything they can think of. Relay For Life of Cullman County does have several options for team fundraisers that require no upfront costs, they include the following:
- Luminary: Luminaries are $10 each and can be dedicated In Honor or In Memory of anyone affected by cancer. Teams can sell the luminaries as a team fundraisers. Luminaries can be sold online through the Relay For Life website or in person using the form available in the Relay Documents link at the top of the blog’s home page.
- Torch of Hope: Torch of Hope is $75 each and it is a tiki torch with a purple ribbon and a plaque attached dedicated to Celebrate (Survivor), Remember (In Memory) or Fight Back (Survivor, Relayer, Caregiver, etc.). The buyer of a Torch of Hope gets to keep it to display in their yard or garden or give as a gift. A form for the Torch of Hope is in the Relay Documents link
- You’re The Reason: You’re The Reason is a slide show that will be display on a screen on the stage at the Relay For Life event. Each slide can be purchased for $5 and, like the Torch of Hope, can be designated as Celebrate, Remember or Fight Back. The form for You’re The Reason is in the Relay Documents link.
- Relay Quilt: Each year, Relayer Shirley Wise makes a quilt using the event, Survivor and team T-shirts for the previous year. Teams can sale chances on the quilt for a donation of $1 for 1 ticket or $5 for six tickets.
- Dollywood Trip: Relayer Gail Crutchfield donates season tickets to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. Teams can sell chances for those at $5 each or $20 for five.
- A Pancake Breakfast is planned for April 9. Teams can sell tickets for this event.
- Dates have been secured to set up tables outside the Walmart store on 157. Teams can schedule times to man the tables.
- Sponsorships: Teams can sell sponsorships for Relay For Life of Cullman County. Sponsorships start at $250 for a yard sign that will displayed at Relay and go up to $10,000.
Cash and checks are accepted, with checks made out to the American Cancer Society. There is an American Cancer Society fundraising app for Android and iPhone that you can use for credit or debit card payments. Those credit/debit payments go directly to the account of the registered team member using that app.
When are funds raised turned in?
Funds raised can be turned in at the monthly Team Spirit meetings, which are held on the Thursday following the first Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m., in the Fellowship Hall of First Baptist Church of Cullman.
What happens at the Relay For Life event?
The Relay For Life event is when we celebrate our efforts, recognize survivors and caregiver and remember those lost to cancer. Teams who wish to can set up a tent site at the event. They can raise more funds if they wish or simply celebrate with each other.
Events held throughout the night include the Opening Ceremony; Survivors Lap, Caregiver Lap, Team Lap and Final Lap; Luminary and Torch of Hope Ceremony; and Closing Ceremony. In between these events, there are activities in which teams can participate. During the Team Lap, teams can show off banners they’ve created to match their theme. Teams can also participate in the Tent Site Contest, T-shirt contest, Spirit Stick contest; Relay Idol contest, Bra contest and Womanless Beauty Pageant.
Where can I find Team Captain Resources and Supplies and Ideas?
You can visit Relay Nation to download documents to help plan fundraisers, share information about how the American Cancer Society makes a difference with the funds raised through Relay For Life and fundraising supplies, such as collection envelopes and the Relay For Life goal thermometer poster. You can also join conversations about Relay related subjects.
What if I have more questions?
Contact Helen Allen at 256-709-4019 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about Relay For Life.